Hosts Nicola & Peter invited me to have a conversation with them for their “inside-Out Career Design podcast. Their approach is very compatible with mine in that we all agree that personal and professional change is an “inside job.”
Learning how to thrive when you lose your job means that it’s possible to build a new future. Facing a job loss can mean a whole new beginning. If you’re thinking you’re too old to start over, think again. There are many opportunities for meaningful, fulfilling work if you know where to look. John shares his insights, tools, techniques, and real-world advice from his own experience of being fired at 50 and beginning an inspiring reinvention. Find practical advice to ways of thriving after being downsized, fired, and losing your job.
In our conversation, we talk about…
- how people over 65 need a counter-narrative to the assumption that they have nothing left to contribute, their skills are outdated, and their experience means nothing,
- how the career you want is already inside you,
- how in order to create the future, we have to reconcile the past,
- the importance of reframing limiting beliefs, reframing the past, and opening up to a different way of looking at yourself and what you’re capable of,
- how acting “as if” is mental prototyping,
- why being a mature person with a growth mindset is an advantage,
- and why figuring out what your superpower is, is so important.